Saturday, March 25, 2017

On to the End

Now that I’ve started kickboxing, I don’t know how I thought I could learn it without human partners to practice with. Even now, I’m slightly afraid that if I ever actually get in a fight, I’ll forget I’m going for the guy’s head and aim for his hands instead, I’m so used to punching people’s gloves. I am beginning to get the hang of it, though; the movements come more naturally now, and I’m no longer the newest person in the class, which is always nice.
I feel a little bad that all the experienced people have to practice with me, but they’re all very supportive, and because I’m southpaw (left-handed), they end up being reasonably challenged as well a lot of the time. It’s actually much easier to practice with someone who knows what he’s doing; when I practice with beginners, I generally end up hitting or getting hit in the wrong spot (my ankles are not happy). I’m glad I finally started, though; it’s a great stress reliever, and since Spring Break I’ve been pretty stressed.
I hit the ground running when I arrived back on Monday night, and I didn’t slow down until mid-morning Thursday. In between thesis meetings, ROTC, assignments, more meetings, graduation paperwork, kickboxing, and still more meetings, life has been pretty crazy. Thursday morning after ROTC I finally crashed, but yesterday I discovered that a couple of my papers were due significantly earlier than I thought, which means that I have no fewer than four major papers and my thesis defense due before the end of next week. So we all know what I’ll be doing this weekend. It’ll get done.
I had quite a bit of ROTC this week, including this morning. I helped teach drill for lab, which I actually really enjoy (I don’t enjoy being taught drill nearly as much; I get very frustrated). PT was moved to Thursday, but class was still on Tuesday, so I had to get up for ROTC three mornings instead of two, but it wasn’t bad. For PT we were playing a sort of game instead of just working out, which was cool. And this Saturday morning we had ranking boards to determine the merit rankings of the juniors in the company – cheery way to start the weekend, but at least it kind of put me in the mood for work.
Life really hasn’t been that exciting, despite the rush. I’m focusing mainly on all the papers I have to write. I’m not nearly as centered on fitness as I was last semester, but I’m still in pretty good shape. I never go more than a couple of days without working out, despite the busy schedule; the real struggle is remembering to eat right. I don’t know what it is about stress that makes salad seem so distasteful, but somehow, all I tend to want it chocolate. Oh, well. I’ll get there.
You see, last semester, when I still didn’t know where, exactly, my life was going, I spent a lot of time on fitness; it was my project. Now, though, all that energy is going into my blog and YouTube (yes, this is my subtle reminder to check out this week’s post if you haven’t yet: https://www.rightsideup.blog/selfless-or-selfish/). Internet/social media advertising is still unknown territory for me, but I think I’m making some inroads – not least of which is my new Facebook page, Lauren Mandaville – Blogger, which you should also like and follow…

Honestly, there’s not much more to say about this week. Weather has been weird lately; it snowed yesterday, but it was warmer and raining this morning. You can never tell what temperature it’s going to be before you walk out the door. In general, it’s still pretty wintry, so if you’re coming, bring your coat. Wait a few weeks and hopefully, I’ll be posting pictures that look more like Spring. Until then, I think that’s all I have. Now I have to go and attempt to write two decent papers in two days – wish me luck! 

On the way back from kickboxing. It's snowing in these pictures. You'll just have to take my word for it.


 And then it rained... and then it misted... I guess it's improving.
 One of the lovely things about Spring Break was getting to go shopping for tea with my mom to refill my nearly-empty tea tin. (And yes, that is another full tea tin next to it. To say that I drink a lot of tea is an understatement.)
 My lovely calendar of snark, a Christmas present from Bekah. Time is flying by!
 Kickboxing (the real stuff, not the cardio kind) is fantastic. And yes, I store my gloves on top of the microwave. It's a small room, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment