Saturday, April 1, 2017

April Sho - er, Snowstorms

In Boston, April showers don’t bring flowers. They bring more snow and occasionally sleet. So I am having a lovely morning in bed reviewing my thesis before my defense on Monday. The first half of the week was a little crazy, but it’s slowly winding to a close.
I found out at the end of last week about all these papers I had coming due. One was postponed; one I turned in only to find out it had been postponed (but I was done, so it didn’t matter), and the two book reports I finished over the past three days. For the first half of the week, every time I wasn’t in class or in a meeting, I was chugging through these papers. But they ended up taking less time than I feared, so I ended up with some free time on the tail end of things, which is always nice.
Kickboxing and lifting are both going well, although I admit I haven’t been eating terribly well lately. When you’ve been stuck churning out papers for the last day-and-a-half, there’s nothing so cheering as being able to take a break for food – and nothing so disappointing as to remember that you’re only getting sliced turkey and salad yet again. And there were fudge brownies…
I did, in fact, get up, work out, shower, and get breakfast before climbing back into bed this morning. It wasn’t the most restful of nights. I skipped my workout yesterday, which messed up my sleep schedule and kept me up until maybe eleven. And then, at 2:30 this morning, a group of guys started banging on my door. I started to get up and open the door to let them know they had the wrong room (fyi, my name is on the door), but before I got there, it was clear from their conversation they were just going around banging on random people’s doors to see what would happen. Needless to say, I was not impressed, and didn’t answer. Fortunately, people who go around banging on stranger’s doors at 2:30 am aren’t known for their patience. And then I eventually drifted back to sleep until my alarm went off at five.
It took quite a bit of convincing to get out of bed and head down to exercise, but I finally said to myself (out loud) oh, stop being a sissy and go work out. I felt much, much better afterwards. It was an excellent start to the day. When I work out I’m happier all day and sleep better at night, and I actually enjoy the workout itself. And yet somehow, I don’t know why, I have to fight a battle to get myself to work out. Just kidding: I do know why. I just wrote a paper on the nature of evil and mankind’s impulse toward self-destruction (read: sin nature) for my Augustine class. Just wanted to point out that everything is connected, at least when you’re a philosophy major.
And besides all that, if you somehow missed it, I also wrote a blog post which I ended up submitting to the Harvard Crimson as an op-ed. The response was very encouraging. Other than that, not much else has happened here. On Wednesday we ran drill lab again, but because all the schools in ROTC are rotating Spring Breaks, none of the MIT people were there, meaning that we only had about five people to drill with. It worked out. I met a couple of friends for tea (they had coffee) and managed to make it to FUEL on Wednesday night. Oh, and on Wednesday I managed to go to Fresh Pond and get a run in before the snow started.

There are still a few highlights before the semester ends – ROTC still has events, a friend is coming to visit, and of course, my thesis defense and finals. But things are coming to a close. I suppose this week mirrors my entire undergraduate career – the first half was crazy, but the pace has moderated a bit right at the end. Here’s hoping it stays that way, because once Navy life starts, things are going to get crazy for a while again!

Pictures:

There's me inside:
 My run outdoors on Wednesday:

 Walking to a meeting on Thursday:

 Aaaand the reason I haven't really been outside since then:
 It snows and rains interchangeably, so the snow melts and gets washed away and you're just left with a lot of mud.


No comments:

Post a Comment