Monday, May 15, 2017

Taking Stock

I’m afraid I’m becoming hopelessly delinquent in these posts – another sign that it’s about time to move on to my next blog, I suppose (that’s your cue to check out my website for the week). There are still quite a few things happening in my life – I had my graduation party this past Saturday, for one, and of course graduation itself is coming up. More than that, though, this is a time of reflection on the past before stepping into the future. With that in mind, I’m going to give an overview of the week’s events, and then I will offer some thoughts on what I’ve learned and skills I’ve gained since coming to college. Next week I’ll look at how I’ve grown socially and emotionally, and for my last post, I’ll be looking at where my life is going long-term and how college helped me figure that out.
But first, this week’s events! Last Sunday, to start off, we had our church picnic; the food was delicious and the company was good. I also went over to a friend’s for dinner, and we had a good talk and watched a lot of YouTube videos. Of course, this past Sunday was Mother’s Day, so over the course of the week we drove to Austin to see my paternal grandmother and take her out to eat, and then on Sunday we saw my maternal grandmother and took her out to eat (this week was not the best as far as diet goes – our family has newly resolved to be good starting today!).
And of course there was my graduation party this past Saturday, where the food was, again, excellent, and everyone was sweet enough to wish me well and give me cards and cash (which will greatly defray the cost of furnishing my apartment). I’ll see my parents again before long, but I don’t know when I’ll be back in Texas again to see everyone, so after four years of coming back every few months to see everyone, it feels like I’m finally off for good. And I suppose I am.
So, what have I gained over the past four years? I never feel particularly old when I’m supposed to – during birthdays or graduations or the like – and my mother assures me that doesn’t change when you get older. Still, I can tell I’ve grown by looking back at the tearful little freshman that left home four years ago for parts unknown, and how unlike that I am now.
Not that I don’t still get tearful at times, but I know I’m ready; I can see the steps ahead of me, and I know I’ll be able to take them. I’m not entirely sure what will happen in the future, but I know what resources I will draw on to deal with it, whatever happens. I can step into new places and meet new people without stressing about it too much, and I know I can learn new things and take on new projects, and do well at them. I know I can manage my time and my affairs decently on my own (not that I don’t still call my parents for advice pretty regularly). In short, I have gained a great deal of independence and self-confidence, simply by going to new places and doing new things.
What places and things have those been? Even I forget sometimes. I’ve studied in Jordan, Jerusalem, and England for extended periods of time; I’ve been to Spain, Germany, Ireland, France, Taiwan, and Nicaragua. And in many of those places, I managed to find transportation and hotels and see the sites without much English. I’ve gone to sea on an aircraft carrier and flown so many places I probably have the safety instructions memorized.
And what have I gotten done? Well, I’m about to graduate from Harvard with a dual degree; I’ve taken courses at MIT; I’ve written a thesis; I’m working towards a Master’s degree in Spanish. I’ve taken classes in everything from Physics to the Roman Empire, and things I’d never heard of as a freshman, I now consider common knowledge in my fields. I know how to shoot a gun; I know how to bench-press; I know the basics of kickboxing. I know how to drive in the city and in the snow. I’ve dealt with leading people and especially with leading people in a military context; I know my limits and how I cope with stress and pressure. I’ve sung a cappella; I’ve marched a platoon. I read or speak, to varying extents, six languages, and I’m an expert at taxis and public transportation. I’m in the best shape of my life physically, and probably mentally and emotionally as well.

If I sound like I’m bragging, I’m sorry; you can just ignore me. This list is for me as much as for anyone else. I had four years – four years to take advantage of all the opportunities Harvard offered, four years to develop into an adult while enjoying the freedom that comes with not having a job or a career to narrow my horizons, four years to develop, as ROTC puts it, morally, mentally, and physically, into the young adult I wanted to be. And as I wrap up those four years, I’d like to be able to assure myself that I have taken full advantage of my opportunities and my potential, and that I’ve fully prepared myself to step into the adventure of tomorrow.

Pictures: not as many this week; I wasn't thinking about it. Buuut, I do have a picture of Teek in the bathtub:

 And looking wistfully back at the dog park:


 My graduation party! Isn't the cake gorgeous!
 My parents and I:
 The organizers (thanks again!) and I:
 They printed out 'congratulations,' 'best wishes,' etc. in different languages for the tables:
 Me giving a short speech:
Just a couple more weeks to go and I'll be a Harvard alumna!

No comments:

Post a Comment