Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Matriculation Maturity

Okay, I think we can all agree that I should give up posting these on time, especially since there’s only one left after this anyway. I’ll post my final blog for this site (my other blog is here) sometime next week, as opposed to later this week. But hey, the second-to-last post is finally up!
First, a brief overview of the past week. I just got back to Harvard earlier today and picked up my cap and gown for graduation on Thursday, as well as putting my uniform together for commissioning (I’ve never worn dress whites before). Up until today, the week was pretty calm; I visited a few friends, went to Seguin High School Junior ROTC’s end-of-year program, and sang a solo on Sunday morning. It was very strange saying goodbye to my parents at the airport and then saying “see you tomorrow” when they come up for the graduation/commissioning.
Honestly, though, today was exhausting, emotionally and physically (mentally, I’m pretty rested). I didn’t get much sleep, my flight was delayed, and I’ve been running all day trying to make sure things are ready for commissioning and graduation, including some things that I didn’t find out about until today. I’ve had no time to enjoy being a graduate; I’m too busy worrying about getting everything ready for graduation and beyond. And of course I’m nervous about what’s next; I don’t like transitions. But the transition to college looks tame in retrospect, and I suspect this one will, too, eventually. As long as I keep moving on to bigger and better things, each transition will always be more challenging than the last, but that’s the way it’s supposed to be.
In any case, it’s time for an overview of the past four years, in terms of personal growth this time instead of accomplishments. I started out freshman year still part adolescent, nervous about living on my own and very homesick, knowing no one, with next-to-no social life and very strict study habits. I didn’t always feel it at the time, but I have grown tremendously since then, and the development has definitely been back-loaded; I grew more and more as I went on.
Freshman year and the first half of sophomore year are all kind of one period in my mind, a cold, gray period where I never got enough sleep and, in my mind, it’s always winter. I started freshman year with a cappella practice until midnight and ROTC at five-thirty the next morning multiple times a week, as well as a 9 am calculus class where I was almost always half-asleep. I made a few casual friends, but most of my time was spent studying. I did alright; I adjusted. I wasn’t depressed. But it was a rather bleak time. My study abroad in Jordan was similar; I didn’t make any close friends, I spent a ton of time studying, and I didn’t know how to do much else on my own (especially without speaking the language).
Sophomore spring, everything changed. I spent the semester studying abroad in Israel; I remember crying the first night because I was just so exhausted (I did that in Jordan, too – and today, actually. I cry a lot when I’m tired; it helps.) Anyway, Israel was amazing, mainly because of two very good friends I made while there. They taught me how to have a social life, how to go out and have fun outside of class, and how to generally slow down and enjoy life. Combined with tons of holidays and easier classes, and that was probably the best semester of my college career, followed by unquestionably the best summer of college spent studying philosophy in Cambridge and touring Europe. I came back a changed person.
Junior year, then, I finally found my balance. Not only did I learn how to slow down, get enough sleep, and make friends; I learned how to build relationships. Social skills have never been my forte, especially with my own age group, but I learned the value of caring about other people’s feelings, going out of one’s way to help others, and generally trying to present a more professional and mature image instead of just doing what I felt like. I was never consciously mean to other people, but I gained a lot of maturity with the idea of taking an active interest in the people around me and acting in a mature way, not according to how I felt at the moment. Junior year was also the time I started consciously thinking about maturing and seeking to develop my character and skill set. The summer after that year was also good; I finally got to spend some time at home.
Senior year has been interesting; all those experiences have come together and crystallized until I’m more stable in this newfound maturity and independence. Which is not to say that I act mature all the time, or that I’m still not pretty nervous about some unknows in the future, but I’m much better and being uncomfortable and handling unknowns in general. This year, I added physical development to the emotional and spiritual development already taking place, and managed to get in the best shape of my life. It’s been a rocky year emotionally, but I’ve come out stronger for it and ready to face the future.

And here I stand on the other side of all that, a (relatively) confident and mature young woman, ready to face the world. I don’t have it all figured out, but at least I’ve figured out enough to know that no one else does, either. I’ve learned to take charge of situations and cope with hard times; I’ve learned how to care about other people and take care of myself. I’ve figured out who I am and where I’m going – but for that recap, you’ll have to wait until next week’s grand finale.

PS - I wrote this last night; I feel much better now. It's amazing - you'd think I'd get terribly upset over giant existential problems and world tragedy, but the majority of the time it's mostly about sleep. And food.

Pictures (I promise there will be many more when I actually graduate and commission!)

Selfie with my parents and I:

 A last picture of the dog (and the other dog's ear):
 I'm back!
 Graduation gown (not worn yet):
 Commissioning uniform (not worn yet):
Headgear for both of those, Ensign (O-1) shoulderboards, and a whole lot of water I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with:
 Haven't had time to do any packing, so my room is still here:
My parents will be here tonight; it's almost time! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment