Friday, October 7, 2016

Midterm Mayhem

                It’s not as bad as it sounds; my midterms are fairly spread out this semester, although I have one in every class, and multiple in some classes. I never have that many at one time, but once they start, they never really stop until finals period. I’ve had two this week – Government and Naval Science – plus a history paper due, but Monday is our holiday of the semester (besides 3 days for Thanksgiving), so it balances out. Yom Kippur is also next week on Wednesday, if you’re interested.
                Last weekend wasn’t much fun; I came down with the same cold/allergy hybrid I get every semester, usually brought on by stress. I’m still a little snuffly, but it’s much better than in previous years, and I think it’s on the way out. The cold snap has also yielded a little, which is probably helping. They’ve turned the heaters on in the buildings, and it’s pretty chilly when you get up in the mornings, but you don’t need a coat by midday.
                What else has happened this week? In Roman Empire we’ve gotten to the Caesars; we’ve had everything from Julius Caesar’s assassination to Nero and Vespasian in a very short period of time. The account of Nero’s life in particular was very disturbing; I’d never looked at it in great detail, but it influenced a lot of books I read when I was younger, and it’s what comes to mind when I think of decadent absolute power: everyone trying to entertain one fickle, self-infatuated man who’ll kill you or knight you at the drop of a hat.
                The Commander of US Cyber Command and the NSA, Admiral Rogers, came to speak at MIT for lab on Wednesday morning. The talk was interesting, although it would have been more interesting if I’d gotten a full 8 hours’ sleep the night before. It’s interesting to compare the VIPs that come through our ROTC unit from time to time. With some exceptions, generally visitors in the flag officer ranks don’t stand on ceremony, although visiting lieutenants have been known to do so. Of course, we insist on it anyway.
                In other news, the water that’s supposed to be delivered to my door monthly finally arrived, after several delays and a refund for the first month’s lack of service. Last year I had two cases of water bottles; yesterday, I showed up to find an entire water dispenser waiting outside my door. It even heats and cools the water – I was very excited. I’ve also finally been brave enough to make (microwaveable) rice and beans in my room, and they actually turned out well, even if my room now smells permanently like seasoning.
                The main event of the week on campus, however, has been the strike by our dining hall workers. I don’t know enough about the issue to comment, but it’s made eating in the dining halls a little more difficult. The management is still providing food, but there are far fewer options, and some of the dining halls are closed, so those that remain open (like ours, thankfully) have to absorb the extra people. On the plus side, the dining halls are open longer now, and there are fewer tempting things to splurge on. It’s a strange dynamic; if you looked at what everyone was advertising, you would assume that everyone was one big happy supportive family, but obviously something’s wrong, because – well, they’re still striking.

                I’m looking forward to the three-day weekend; I’m still having a hard time pushing myself into being productive, but I should have time to get a good amount done on my thesis (at the moment I’m just slogging through secondary sources) and get ahead for next week – and get some rest in. Happy holidays, and see you next week!

Pictures:

Everything's still warm and green outside. It's tourist season.

 Sometimes, Harvard students are very impressive. Other times...
 The strike: there are signs everywhere and so police officers everywhere.
 Harvard Yard and University Hall. In order to go in and meet with my thesis adviser, I had to go around the back and give my name to the security guards.
 My water!

 My bookshelves are a little... overwhelmed at the moment. I have several additional piles around the room.
 Hot tea makes everything better, especially on cold mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment