Saturday, October 29, 2016

Halloween Hassles

I’m sorry I’m so late this week; the last few days have been full of unfinished to-do lists, and I’m only just now catching up to what I usually would have finished on Thursday. The weekend is finally here, though, and with it a chance to get caught up and prepare for next week’s deadlines – all from my cozy room with a cup of hot tea beside me and a scenic rainy day out the window.
What happened to this week? Well, the first thing was my commissioning physical, which required a trip to Portsmouth that took all of Tuesday morning and some of the afternoon. You’ll be happy to hear that no red flags came up, so as of now I shouldn’t need any waivers to join the Navy. It was a long trip and ended up being a sort of scavenger hunt around the medical facilities to collect all the right paperwork from the right people, but everyone was very nice, although I’m still not used to having people twice my age call me ‘ma’am’. Tuesday, though, is usually my day to study, since I have fewer classes, so I lost a lot of time that I’m now having to pay back.
Then there was my problem set for logic, a class that is definitely getting harder as it goes along. I actually enjoy problem solving and proofs quite a bit when I’m not on a deadline, but they’re very frustrating when you’re running out of time. It stands to reason that, if some object is borne a certain relation by every object, then every object bears a relation to some object, but you have no idea how difficult that is to prove, especially when you’re short on sleep and have already been staring at these sorts of things for three hours. (I wasn’t the only one having trouble, though; they extended the deadline by two days because everyone needed more time.) So Thursday evening, my other main study time of the week, was derailed by that unexpected behemoth. I ended up turning it in Thursday evening and then dreaming about it all night, including one episode where I somehow saved Batman by finally writing the proof correctly…
 This was probably due to the fact that I decided to celebrate Halloween, and the end of my workout program, by trying out a comic book for what is possibly the first time in my life. It’s simpler with Kindle, though, because it will sequence the panels for you, so you don’t have to worry about missing anything or figuring out what order to read things in. I’m not hooked, but it’s not a bad way to wind down after running to and fro all day.
The Halloween parties will start tonight, I suspect. Pfoho had its own party last night because – drumroll – the strike is over, and our dining halls are up and running again! Everything is back to normal, and normal never tasted so good, although the strike did give me an excuse to go to IHOP with a friend for lunch the other day, as well as causing Pfoho to host some sort of food-centric events nearly every day to tide us through.
Christian Impact is still going well. I led a Bible Study on Wednesday, and we had some good discussion. On Tuesday we experimented with singing part of a song in Spanish for FUEL, and it looked like people enjoyed it, so hopefully we can do more of that sort of thing in the future. Also at FUEL, one of our leaders served as our speaker and led a guided reading which helped me take a breath and calm down in the middle of all the craziness.

Last but not least, Autumn weather has finally arrived – cold and rainy – and it’s time to ratchet up the winter apparel again. I’m still holding my full winter coat and boots in reserve, though; I probably won’t pull them out until it starts snowing, which should be a while yet. Well, I say a while, but I’m still trying to process the fact that it’s already the end of October. Happy Halloween, everyone, and good luck with your deadlines! 

Pictures:

I did have lots of time to take pictures of fall scenery...





 Raindrops make everything magical:

 We did have some days of sunshine:



 And then there were the other days...

 The view from Widener Library across the Yard:
 The happy sight of our re-opened dining hall, decorated for halloween:

No comments:

Post a Comment