Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Retreat and Advance

It has been a very busy week – my immune system’s starting to falter, so I’ve got to slow down a little. It was fun, though. I went to a couple of talks, spent the weekend on retreat with Cru*, attended a couple of ROTC events, and even went to the dentist (three of my wisdom teeth are partially erupted – that sounds more painful than it is). And of course, with papers and tests coming up, there’s also been school to deal with.
There’s more elaboration to follow, but first, something that made my day: in German, the word for seduction is ‘verführung,’ a combination of ‘führung,’ or leading, with ‘ver’ – mis- or away. Literally, it means to lead away. And guess what? The English word ‘seduce’ comes from Latin ‘ducere’ – to lead – and ‘se’ – you guessed it – ‘away’. It’s the same compound word! And no, I will not apologize for being a nerd. That’s why I’m here.
In any case, Fall Retreat with Cru was loads of fun, despite the cold. We traveled up to the mountains of New Hampshire and spend a couple of days canoeing, chatting, going to Bible Study, worshipping, and eating lots of excellent food. I got to know the Cru people at Harvard much better than previously, and it was nice to get away from college for a while. I gained a nice perspective on school vs. real life while studying abroad, and I don’t particularly want to get sucked into the college bubble again.
As for talks, I attended one last Wednesday that discussed the development of ISIS’s outlook and the reason for its sudden success. It was substantive and complex, for a half-hour lecture, and the Q&A was substantial, which doesn’t always happen. I also attended a talk on International Law in the Israel-Palestine conflict that was less substantive and complex, but did provide fruit and brownies.
In ROTC, we had our joint service field meet with Army and Air Force. Air Force won, but that was primarily because the Navy/Marines in the Combat Relay had never been taught how to throw a grenade using the Army method (don’t worry; they were mock grenades). At least, that’s the working hypothesis. That was last Wednesday; later that day several of us attended a talk by the new Vice Chief of Naval Operations on the future of the Navy and cyber warfare. And finally, we had our swim PT of the semester on Monday, which was fun, even if it meant going out into the cold with wet hair.
So that was all the special events, not counting a couple of other random meetings and errands. I also had an Arabic quiz and am working on my second essay for my philosophy tutorial. In my music class the Harvard Baroque Chamber Orchestra and part of the Harvard-Radcliffe Collegium Musicum (HRCM) performed the initial part of Handel’s Messiah. We were properly impressed.
In other news, it’s now cold enough that I close my window at night and have actually pulled out my comforter instead of just sleeping under my sheet. I discovered, quite by accident, that upbeat 80s music is very good for walking. And in Arabic, we’re learning how to say fun things like ‘impose restrictions’ and ‘double standards’ and ‘human rights’.
I could mention other random facts, but all in in all, it’s been a pretty good week, with lots of variety as well as activity. I don’t have as many midterms as I might, and all my classes seem to be going tolerably well, although I could be happier with a couple of the grades. But such is life. And after a short weekend of retreat it’s time to get back to the grind, where I belong. After all, that’s why I’m here.


*"Campus Crusade for Christ” just sounded a little aggressive, I guess, so they shortened it. Harvard’s branch in particular is called Christian Impact (CI), because Harvard requires Harvard-specific organization to have a Harvard-specific name. I’m not sure why – I suppose because they think they’re special. In any case, Campus Crusade, Cru, CI, and Athletes in Action (AIA) are all parts or versions of the same basic organization.

Pictures:

Harvard can actually be very pretty:

 Waiting for the bus to take us to the retreat:
 Our cabin:
 New Hampshire:


 'Cause we're cool:


 Team Harvard:
 Canoeing on the lake:


 On the way back:
 Handel's Messiah:
 Harvard:

No comments:

Post a Comment