Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Of Apples and Acorns

Happy holiday to all, whatever we’re celebrating. We’re having our annual three-day weekend here at Harvard. I thought I had a lot of free time, so I scheduled a bunch of things, and then I discovered I had almost no time left over, but it’s working out. Also, I have all three of my midterms next week, so that’s going to be fun, but at least they’ll be over with.
What have I done this week? I suppose the largest event was the Navy and Marine Corps Birthday Ball. I’ve ended up helping with set up every year, so this time I figured I would actually volunteer to help. It went pretty quickly; not that much needed to be done. I was there from around one in the afternoon until around eight in the evening – we started earlier this year – and then left when the dancing started to get going. I needed sleep.
Sunday I went to church, which ended, as it does every year, with the sounds of the brass bands marching in the annual Honkfest parade outside. I have yet to figure out what, exactly, this parade is for, but I walked back next to it, just like I do every year, before turning off to go back to the Quad. After church I got some work done, although I wish I’d spent more time outside. We’ve had a little rain, but the weather has been pretty nice, and the trees are starting to change. Sunday night a friend came over, and we watched TV and ended up talking until past eleven.
On Monday I went apple picking for the first time with Cru. Fall is a big thing here, and we drove about an hour to a huge orchard and spent about an hour clambering around hunting for apples. You pay for a bag of a certain size to put apples in, so three of us split one, and we each ended up with quite a few apples to take home. They also sold doughnuts and pies and cider, but I passed. Afterwards we came back to the Quad for chili and conversation.
The other event of the weekend was someone’s setting off the fire alarm at 1:30 Saturday morning, much to my annoyance. Not that they woke a ton of people up; I think most people were still awake. They had to call the fire department to check it out. There was no fire, but at least we know if there ever is, the fire department will be there and ready to go. It also helped me practice my reaction times. Upon waking up to the alarm, I took the time to change into proper clothes and brush my hair before grabbing some stuff and leaving. And I still made it out before some of the people who were already awake. Go figure.
 I spent most of Friday night attempting to write an essay explaining a very technical philosophical account of personal identity. It’s surprising how hard defining a person actually is. You can’t define a person solely in terms of his body, because you can imagine people switching bodies. You can’t define a person by means of a soul or spirit, because that’s ‘spooky stuff’, and in any case, that still leaves you having to define a soul or spirit, which is no less difficult. Most people attempt to define a person in terms of his memory – eg only I have my memories from my perspective. But that leads to all sorts of problems if memories can be transferred or transplanted into multiple people… In any case, the topic is complicated enough to have a class dedicated to it.
In any case, life has suddenly become a lot more stressed, and I’m going to need a Sabbath soon, but I’m okay for now. I haven’t needed to worry about school for a long time; it’s probably good for me; it gets my blood going. The next few weeks are looking pretty busy, but that just means time will pass all the faster. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing, but I can’t stop it, so I might as well look on the bright side.

Well, that’s about all for this week. Classes are going alright; I’m a little stressed, but not terribly. And things will be much better after midterms are over, hopefully. I’ll be right in the middle of them the next time I post – we’ll see how it goes!

Pictures:

So... this is how I view MIT:

 vs. Harvard. And yes, these are actual pictures, taken within a couple of days of each other. Not to say either location is always like this, but this is what my subconscious pictures for either school.



 Honkfest:


 Apple picking!






 The fire alarm incident:
 The Birthday Ball:

No comments:

Post a Comment