Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Birthday in Berlin

                Well, I’m back from my last foray into the Continent for the summer. I had a busy but very lovely time and saw a bunch. And now there are only a few days left until I’m headed home. It’s hard to believe everything’s gone by so quickly – that two decades of my life have gone by so quickly – but there it is. In a couple of weeks I’ll be starting my junior year of college. Enough of the musing, though. On to Berlin!
                It was a rather long trip, quality-wise. I rushed from one final to the other in the morning, then grabbed lunch and rushed to the bus stop for my trip as soon as the last exam was done. It was raining, the bus was late, the plane was noisy, and the trains were just plain confusing, but I finally made it to the hotel, roughly on time, and was able to collapse into bed.
                My first day in Berlin started with a tour of the Reichstag – or at least, of the observation dome on top of the Reichstag. For historical reasons, the German government is very concerned with transparency and decentralization, but at the same time, they have to guard against terrorism, which means that there are windows into all the offices and conference rooms, but visitors just kind of circumvent the actual building and walk around the clear dome on top. It is a beautiful view, though, and the audio guide gives a nice summary of the sites in Berlin, which was nice since it was my first stop.
                After that tour I walked over to some nearby monuments before grabbing something for lunch and heading over to meet my walking tour. I ended up walking to the meeting point, which was simpler than figuring out the public transportation, but also took longer. Also, Berlin seems to have very few snack-bar type restaurants, or even grocery stores, where you can just grab a snack and leave. Everything outside of the American chains is sit-down, which is hard when you’re always trying to get someplace. But I digress.
                The Saturday walking tour was focused on the Nazis, so we went by several memorials and monuments to various persecuted groups and soldiers. We also walked down Wilhelmstrasse, where most of the Nazi government buildings were, but not much is left of them. Berlin in general is very different than, say, Cambridge or Madrid. It was almost entirely destroyed in the Second World War, and then divided, so everything, especially things in the center of the reunited city, is pretty modern, or at least heavily restored.
                After the tour I visited the Topography of Terror museum, named for its location atop the former SS headquarters and beside a remaining section of the Berlin Wall, and then headed over to the Checkpoint Charlie museum before dinner. With all the talk about the Nazis, I’d forgotten how interesting the post-war period is. It always reminded me somewhat of a DI* challengs: get across the wall using only what a poverty-stricken police-watched family can find. People came up with some pretty crazy answers.
                The second day was a day trip to Wittenberg, home to the Luther museum and site of Martin Luther’s living, preaching, and alleged nailing of the 95 thesis onto the door. 2017 marks the 500th anniversary of the reformation, and Wittenberg (which isn’t exactly the most bustling of cities) has already started a countdown and is gearing up for the celebration. We took a train there, spent several hours viewing the aforementioned sites, and then had a nice lunch at the Brauhaus – they were slightly annoyed when I ordered water and not beer.
                I also got to use my German a little more in Wittenberg, as opposed to Berlin, where people generally switch to English as soon as they hear my accent. I could understand a lot of what was going on, though, and managed several short conversations a day. Apparently the studying is paying off. Unlike Jordan, Israel, or my various Spanish classes, people actually looked at me and assumed I spoke their language, which was rather nice, even if I did have to disappoint.
                On the third day, I went on a walking tour of the main sites of Berlin – the Brandenburg gate, the square where they held the Nazi book burning, the college where the Grimm brothers went to school, a few of the same war memorials, and etc. All of the tours were great. Afterwards I checked out the German History museum, which covered the entirety of, well, German History, and then stood in line for around 45 minutes to get into the Pergamon museum, which housed a really extraordinary collection from Greece, Rome, and especially the Middle East.
                And now, after all that, I’m back in my dorm at Cambridge, with a few days to hopefully calm down and wrap things up before heading back to the States. I could say more about my study abroad, but this post is getting pretty long, so I’ll save it for my final reflection. Have a lovely week, until next time!


*DI – Destination Imagination – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destination_Imagination

Pictures:

This is just part of a bridge, but it was pretty.

 The Reichstag.


 Inside the dome of the Reichstag.
 View over the city:

 Brandenburg Gate:
 Victory Column:
 Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe:
 Berlin Wall:
 Successor to the oak tree planted where Martin Luther burned the Papal Bull:
 Luther House:

The door of the 95 theses:
 Memorial to the Nazi Book Burning, the Empty Library (back in Berlin):
Pergamon Museum:

No comments:

Post a Comment