Thursday, December 15, 2016

Interviews and Important News

I am several orders of magnitude less stressed than I was last time I wrote, for two main reasons. First, my hardest final is over; I took my final logic exam on Saturday, and it was not only as hard as I feared, but even a little easier than I was expecting (although I’m never quite sure how I did in that class, so I won’t be sure until grades come out). I still have almost a week before I head home, but I only have two more finals, and they’re both my General Education requirements (which means they’re intro-level courses), so I’m not too worried.
The other nice thing about humanities courses is that often you have review sheets: know what these three-hundred words mean, know how to write a solid essay on the course themes, and you’ll be okay. Which is tedious, but not particularly worrisome. In contrast, in something like logic, you just have to generally ‘know the course material’ and be able to demonstrate it, which is unnervingly broad, although I still do decently most of the time.
In any case, on to my larger news: the second, and primary, reason I am now less stressed is that I passed my interviews to be a Surface Warfare Officer (Nuclear)! The interview process consist of flying up to DC, to the headquarters of the Navy Nuclear Propulsion Program, for two technical interviews (three if you’re on the border) and a character interview with the four-start admiral in charge of the program. I had been studying for the technical interviews on and off all semester, and needless to say, I was a little worked up about it; this could decide the next 5-6 years of my life.
I flew into DC on Monday morning and spent a few hours touring before exhaustedly heading to the hotel when check-in opened at 4. I hadn’t been to DC since middle school, so I walked the Mall, saw the monuments, and went to a couple of the Smithsonians. Somehow, I ended up having an extremely long day in only about six hours. It took an hour to finally get out of the airport, between weather, and luggage, and shuttles, and drop off my luggage at the hotel. Then I attempted to follow one of the bellhop’s directions to the Mall, wandered around for a long time, and finally gave up and took an Uber. By the time I actually started touring, I was already tired.
I did, however, have a good time touring in DC. I didn’t know Thomas Cole’s Seasons of Life series was in the National Gallery of Art, but I was very happy when I unexpectedly discovered it. Although I probably didn’t look much like an art patron; the lady at the desk asked me which kind of art I wanted to view (I usually just wander around until I think I’ve covered most of it), and I blanked and said something to the effect of ‘older stuff.’ She gave me a look and then listed every exhibit in the museum, and I kind of just stood and nodded.
I also visited the Museum of Natural History. One sign caught my eye; it asked “what does it mean to be human?” and then listed several physical characteristics – ie walking on two legs, etc. I was, to put it mildly, unimpressed with their philosophical prowess. I much preferred one of the quotes on the World War II memorial about the battle of Midway which indicated that the human spirit, far from being defined by scientific facts, is the very thing that allows us to defy those facts and overcome even when the odds were against us. But I digress.
In any case, it was a long day, between the unrelenting adrenalin of the entire past week, my lack of sleep the night before, and walking around all day. I finally hit a wall and stopped for dinner – only to realize halfway through that it was only 2:30 in the afternoon. Eventually I called my parents and then called an uber on my phone to take me back to the hotel – just in the nick of time, because my phone ran out of battery right after I’d called the cab. Fortunately, he showed up anyway, to my relief. I didn’t need another adventure at the moment.
Okay, obviously this post is going to run long, so bear with me. I studied a little, tried out their pool (unheated, and awkward with just me and the lifeguard watching me swim), took a hot bath, and headed to bed. The next morning I and another MIDN from my unit headed off to the interviews.
The technical interviews weren’t that bad; I didn’t wow anyone, but I did decently (as far as I know, they never tell you). They were a little unsure what to do with the philosophy major who’d only taken about eight technical courses, but I could answer the questions. After the technical interviews the twenty or so of us who were interviewing headed out for lunch and then chatted for a couple of hours until the admiral could see us. I got into about an hour-long discussion about whether there was proof for the existence of God, which actually calmed me down quite a bit. And then we were taken up to a series of waiting rooms and were shown in one-by-one to see the admiral. That interview was by far the best. I think the admiral liked the guts of the philosophy major who wanted to learn nuclear physics.
They tell you directly afterwards if you’re in or not, and then you sign the paperwork and you’re free to go. By this time it was around five in the afternoon (we’d started at seven that morning), and we went out for a while with an alumni of our unit who was working at Naval Reactors before I headed back to the hotel and the other MIDN (he made it in as well, by the way) headed to the airport. I had a much more relaxed evening and flew back yesterday morning.

I was planning on explaining what, exactly, it means to be a SWO (N) (I’ve gotten a lot of question and my, I really like parenthesis today), but this post is already several paragraphs longer than usual, so I’ll explain it next time – which will come next Tuesday and will be my last post of the semester. Thanks for sticking with me all the way through this post, and I’ll see you next week (some of you literally)!

Pictures:

This is still Boston; I missed more snow while I was gone.


 Washington DC:
 There's actually a sculpture here I was trying to take a picture of. It looks like a giant metal spider, if you can see it; I don't know if that was intentional or not.
 The Gallery. It was calming to wander around a national capital on my own; it's something I'm very comfortable and familiar with at this point, and I could even get around in English!
 This is possibly the bravest squirrel I have ever seen. This picture isn't zoomed in; I leaned down next to him and took it, and he didn't so much as twitch. Someone's been feeding him...
 You'll have to forgive my attempted selfies; the screen on my phone cracked directly over the front camera, so I had to take these the old-fashioned way.
 The Mall. I did walk the entire thing; that was my goal for the morning, and I finally made it.
 Here's the sign I was talking about:
Shout-out to my Roman History class and way it made me think back to Roman-Egyptian relations when I came to this obelisk.
 Go Navy!
 The other end of the Mall (I kept taking pictures; I could probably make a flip-book at this point.)

 I wasn't sure whether to smile or not... this is my awkward compromise.
Even with the leaves already fallen, the scenery was quite beautiful.
 Again, with the sunset at 3:30 in the afternoon:

No comments:

Post a Comment