Friday, November 18, 2016

Getting By, Giving Thanks

There’s only one full week left of school before finals period – isn’t that crazy? Of course, there are a few days before Thanksgiving, but no one’s feeling that on-the-ball at the moment – thus the tardiness in this blog. And my last final isn’t until December 21st, so I’ll be sticking around awhile, probably working on my thesis. But still – I am about halfway through my senior year of college. When did that happen?!
That said, I just finished my last midterm on Wednesday. It was logic; I was fairly worried about it – worried enough that I still feel kind of anxious in the aftermath, even though I can’t do anything about it now, which I can usually compartmentalize away. I did get an A on my ROTC midterm, though, as I found out this morning, so that’s one more worry out of the way. Now only a couple of papers stand between me and finals period.
I can tell I’ve been worked up lately by a couple of things. One is the fact that I keep waking up in the middle of the night; this morning I woke up, took my vitamin C supplement, and fixed myself a cup of tea before realizing it was only midnight and I had five more hours (I saved the tea for later). The other is my stomach acting weird, although it’s been fairly well-behaved for midterm season. We had weigh-ins for ROTC, and I’ve gained a few pounds, but it’s all muscle, so I’m happy with that. ROTC is also finishing up; today we have our final staff meeting. Everything is beginning to wrap up.
I’ve also had the chance to be a little more social over the past week. On Saturday night I went to the Navy/Marine Corps Birthday Ball and for the first time in four years actually changed out of my uniform and stayed a little while to dance. I used to feel more awkward just standing on the dance floor obviously not really knowing what to do, but then I realized that’s pretty much all that’s required, except for the people who get drunk and decide to go for it. We had a good time. I also got to talk one-on-one with several friends this week, which was a nice way to think over how the past few months had gone and share some frustrations.
What else happened this week? Attendance was pretty low at FUEL, between the cold and the rain and the dark and the general business, but we showed up and I tried out a kids’ song that at least I hope everyone enjoyed. We’re not having it next week due to Thanksgiving, which will make things simpler as I prepare to head home. I will be going back to Texas to spend Thanksgiving with the family, so I won’t be posting next week; I’ll start again the first week of December.
This weekend is going to be exciting as well; I have my ticket to Harvard-Yale, the one football game that everyone cares about here. The game is at Harvard this year, which is good, because I don’t think I could work up the energy to go all the way back to Yale again, although I’m sure the administrators would rather Yale have to deal with the logistics hassle. We’ll see what the weather’s like and if I end up staying for the whole thing.
Speaking of the weather, it’s still pretty warm around here, although it hasn’t diminished the foliage one bit. It has started getting dark around four, though, which is not motivating when it comes time to settle in for homework; I finish dinner (which I eat at five) and feel like it’s already time to curl up with some tea and go to bed. Fortunately, essays can be written just as well in bed as anywhere else, and I just received a care package from my parents with lots of soup and chocolate to keep me company.

That’s about all I have for this week. Have a happy Thanksgiving, and I’ll talk to you in a couple weeks!

Pictures:

You'd be forgiven for thinking I was driving home late at night, but this is actually about 5:30 in the evening on my way back from ROTC.

 From the Birthday Ball. This raises the question: can one person eat this much steak? And the answer is yes; yes I can.
 More of the ball:
Just beautiful.

Street art!
Workouts are still going great!

Care package. :)
Comfort food with friends is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment