Saturday, September 3, 2016

Plans and Prospects

                I sometimes have trouble experiencing the called-for emotions that certain life events and stages are supposed to evoke, but this year I definitely feel like a senior. Watching all the freshmen come in, confused and carried away and very anxious to please, I realize just how far I’ve come. Now I’m the one giving advice and directions and (quasi-) wise counsel.
                I don’t know how many people shared my college experience, but I don’t think it’s uncommon. Freshmen year, I was doing hard things and studying all the time. Sophomore year (the half that wasn’t study abroad) I was doing about the same, not so much because I was excited, but because I needed to get it done. Freshmen year was overwhelming. Sophomore year was – well, kind of drudgery for a while there. Both leave the image of a bleak, gray existence – always winter and never Christmas.
                Study abroad turned everything upside-down, and that summer was the turning point. My junior year was full of sunshine and smiles and friends; I wasn’t afraid to take easier classes, and I was putting more effort into fewer extra-curriculars. Each stage of school for me has been the same – neutral to glum for the first year or so, but progressively better, until the final years were some of the best of my life.* So it’s been here – at least, I hope the trend continues, but so far I seem on track for a good, not-too-stressful year.
                Why am I in such a cheery mood? Well, for one, I just got my grades back from my summer courses – Pass with Honors and an A+ in my business courses and seminary course, respectively. More generally, though, I once again have a single room to myself, but this time it’s the size of a double – two closets, two windows, and lots of space. Also, I’ve finally learned a little homemaking, so I have my loose leaf tea and my tables and my decoration and my books to keep me company. The only thing that I don’t have is air conditioning, but it’s usually not a problem after the first couple of weeks. At the moment, I’m just sleeping without bedding and with the windows open.
                What am I up to for the semester? Well, for Harvard, I’m taking my thesis tutorial (more details later), logic (very math-intensive), American Government (general education requirement), and Roman Empire (because apparently, despite my major in Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations, Harvard thinks I lack exposure to classes on “Societies of the World”). I may also be auditing a German class – that’s still in the works. In ROTC, I’m taking advanced Navigation with the rest of the seniors, and for Seminary I’m taking Old Testament. I’m excited; it may sound like a lot, but I think it’s a good level of challenge. The spring semester should be a little easier.
                Besides classes, I’m taking on my role in ROTC as Command Master Chief, overseeing discipline and morale. ROTC doesn’t start until next week, so I’m not sure how much time that’s going to take. And in Christian Impact, I’m both leading the Worship Team (which has already kicked off, and for which I have many plans) and co-leading a LIFE Group (which will start in a week or two). I’m pretty excited about those, as well. And finally, over the summer I finally had time to get into a serious workout routine; I’m fitter now than I think I’ve ever been in my life. So I intend to keep working on that.
Overall, then, the year looks like it will hold little in the way of drudgery and much in the way of exciting plans and responsibilities. It’s possible I’ll look over this in a couple of months and laugh ironically – ‘if I’d only known’ – but at the moment, it seems like this last year of school might be the best yet. I’ll keep you posted!


*Obviously, these are generalizations, but if you want to look up the primary sources, my weekly journal is right here!

Pictures: I wasn't able to get my summer photos to load for my last post (thank you to my parents for filling the gap with theirs), so they're included here, too, which makes for - well, a lot, so enjoy!

San Diego:
 The Mexican food was amazing...
 As was the base gym.
 My gear all packed away inside my bunk (the top of the bed opens up for storage space):
 A friend and I went to the zoo while in port (free with a military ID).
 And of course there's the beach.
 Friends:
 Ready for a helicopter ride:

 Watching them test the guns:
 Underway Replenishment (UNREP):
 This is the day after I got my wisdom teeth out, by the way - you can see some swelling.
 Family vacation in the Grand Tetons:

 Cousins in town for my grandparents' anniversary:
 Sorry, these pictures aren't exactly in order... This is getting 5 of the 6 of us assigned to the nuclear section, waiting for the jet to take us back to California (it was about an hour late, so we had plenty of time for pictures).
 And we're back in Wyoming.

 This is one of my personal favorites.
 At the airport before I leave for my senior year at Harvard:
 Fresh Pond in a warm and sunny Cambridge (for now...):
 Okay, what you've probably been waiting for. I saved the best for last: room pictures!

 The tables are from packing boxes; I still had to throw a few away. Almost all of the tea supplies I obtained in the last couple of weeks, and I'm very happy about them.
 Hi from Harvard! Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment