Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Breaking Out

                I hope everyone had a relaxing and joyful Thanksgiving break; I know I did. I finished my classes and flew home on Tuesday night to be with my family. I got to the airport early, but my first flight was nearly an hour late. I sat next to an older man who informed me he had 72 descendants and told me his opinion of all the Republican presidential candidates. I barely made my connecting flight, but after a few more hours in the air and another hour in the car with my parents, I made it home.
                On Wednesday I went with my mother to take her parents to the airport, redrafted my final philosophy paper, and spent time with my parents. I also cut a rather long novel I wrote over last Christmas break and the spring semester – I’ve cut it down from 242 to 198 pages by means of ruthlessness and only a teensy bit of doctoring.) On Thursday my parents and I had a quiet, cozy Thanksgiving dinner (at least after we kicked the dogs out of the house). And on Friday we decorated for Christmas.
                Christmas decorating at my house inevitably brings about a rise in tension between my father and me. He generally just wants everything in working order as soon as possible, and I generally want everything exactly the way it was when I was six. This used to end with my annual storming off to my room, but over the years we’ve both mellowed, and we’ve developed a division of labor (my mom does the china, I do the nativity sets, he puts up the tree, and etc.) that manages to diffuse most of the friction. There was a slight disagreement on whether my father should go up on the roof in the rain to put up the lights, but it ended in compromise.
                On Saturday we headed up to see my dad’s family in Austin and arrived tardily to have a home-cooked lunch, topped off by brownies and ice cream. One of my aunts and one of my uncles (why isn’t there a joint plural for that?) also joined us, and we talked for a while before heading to the hotel. I flew out of Austin in the wee hours of Sunday morning, so it wasn’t really worth going all the way back home in between.
                On the flight back I met an army veteran working in Santa Fe with a son who’d been offered admission to Harvard. I’m not sure how I always end up meeting people on planes – maybe it just comes from being on so many planes. In two weeks and a couple of days I’ll be in the air again, flying back home. In any case, Sunday I arrived back early in the afternoon and was able to finish my last bit of work for the weekend before heading to bed at the heavenly hour of eight o’clock (I had to wake up for class at 6 am Monday morning).
                And now classes have resumed as usual for the last week of school. That’s right – two more days and classes are finished! I’ll still be here for a couple of weeks; we have a week of reading period, and then I have two finals. Still, we’ve reached the part of the semester when my to-do list is comprehensive; everything is on it that’s going to be on it, as far as schoolwork goes. And it’s not actually that bad. Normally I would be making analogies to the last sprint of a marathon about now, but this semester’s been more of a moderate jog – and I’ve liked it that way.
                Next semester I’ll be taking two ROTC classes, since I have to make up last spring, so my blogs may go back to sounding sleep-deprived and stressed. But for now, I’m enjoying a calm semester that I hope will coast to a smooth finish. I have a few more exciting events planned down the line to tell you about, but I’ll wait until they actually happen. For now, I’m hoping to finish all my major assignments (outside of finals) before we meet again, so if you have a moment, remember me typing away on a presentation, a project, a portfolio, two papers, and two ROTC finals!

Pictures: Speaking of Thanksgiving, thanks be to my father, who has taken some of these pictures!

The front of our house: (The head of the reindeer on the right moves only due to my strenuous cajoling of the motor. You might remember the cross as a homemade prop from a Christmas Eve service.)
 After years of failed attempts, we finally found a star that would stay on top of the tree.
 My handiwork:
 Texas from the plane:
 These are our front yard. I was trying to capture the feeling of a gray-skied, lazy afternoon, but I don't think the pictures do the atmosphere justice.
 You can see that Texas doesn't really feel the effects of fall.
 We may or may not have forgotten to take pictures of ourselves until right before I left 3:30 Sunday morning.

 The Hebrew University hoodie is good for solitude. All the other college students on the flight have a (rather noisy) meet-and-greet, but no one knows quite what to do with you if you wear foreign college gear.

 The sunset out the window was much prettier than this, but it's the best I could do. It would make a lovely Impressionist painting, though.
 Back at Harvard!

No comments:

Post a Comment