Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Plato and Politics

                Coming from a university that gives an average of 8 days off per semester, I am thoroughly enjoying the plethora of holidays here. I had the day off yesterday – not for Saint Patrick’s Day, for elections. I’m not sure why all the foreign nationals were let out of school, but we were okay with it.
                I spent a good part of yesterday finishing Socrates’ Parmenides. The whole thing sounds much like this section:
                “the truest assertion of the being of being and of the not-being of not-being is when being partakes of the being of being, and not of the being of not- being--that is, the perfection of being; and when not-being does not partake of the not-being of not-being but of the being of not-being--that is the perfection of not-being.”*
                I know, right? I can figure out what they mean, but I’m convinced that they are purposely stating it in the most convoluted way possible.
                As for the rest of the week, I am pleased to say that I have finally started my formal Arabic independent study. I’ve never done an official independent study before, and I’m quite infatuated. My teacher is really sweet, and with just the two of us we can move faster, bring in random facts and connections between Hebrew and Arabic, and have a good time.
                I have no fewer than three language classes on Mondays, counting the independent study. In the morning I have three hours of Hebrew. This week we finished by talking about how to write an essay in Hebrew. I was surprised to find that one of the essays I had typed had appeared as the sample essay for this exercise (as a positive example, thankfully.)
                One of the fun things about language classes is that you get to go back and relearn everything you already know about writing from English. Things we went over included: acknowledging sources, paraphrasing, how to structure an argument, and last but not least, how to use paragraphs. I distinctly remember being told some of these things in third grade, but a reminder never hurt.
                We’re also currently expanding our legal vocabularies in Hebrew – I now know the word for ‘statute of limitations.’ The supreme usefulness of this word is demonstrated by the fact that some of the native English speakers in the class didn’t know its translation.
                However, that’s still better than my Monday colloquial Arabic class, where the punch line of a joke we were reading was the word ‘suppository’, which the majority of people in the class didn’t recognize in English. Even knowing the word didn’t help that much; looking at our faces after we watched the video, the professor abruptly announced a five-minute break – fifteen minutes before class ended. We were puzzled but didn’t complain.
                That’s about my selection of anecdotes for the week; things haven’t been overly exciting, but they haven’t been dull. In addition to what I’ve mentioned, I’ve gone grocery shopping, cleaned, done laundry, hung out with friends, done some creative writing, and the like. Mainly, I’ve enjoyed having a holiday in the middle of the week.
                Everyone in the States seems to be on Spring Break at the moment, but I don’t mind missing; I get a two-week break at the end of the month, besides which I’ve managed to miss the worst winter in Boston history. This has so far been a very pleasant semester; hopefully it will continue to be so. Until next time!

*Plato (2009-12-19). The Works of Plato (25+ works with an active table of contents) (Kindle Locations 19671-19675).  . Kindle Edition.
(when you copy and paste, it automatically gives you the citation. Isn’t that handy?!)








No comments:

Post a Comment