Tuesday, November 25, 2014

'Twas the Tuesday before Thanksgiving...

And all through the class
Everyone’s eyes were glazed over like glass,
As they counted the hours ‘till they would awake
And find that they’d started the holiday break.

            Well, that’s not entirely true. I still pay attention in class. But I can’t say I’m not excited about the fact that, by the time most of you read this, I’ll be on a plane on my way back to Texas. Until then, though, it was a very busy weekend, so there’s a lot to write about.
            First of all, Harvard-Yale. We won! As we have for the past 13 years, barring one game. However, unlike last year, this game was very close and pretty exciting. I left at half-time to do work, and I’m sorry I missed it, but I’m glad we won, and it was nice to be able to go to a football game again, even if it was a far cry from Texas football. The halftime show was especially telling – on the Yale side, the about thirty people who made up the band (and one twirler) pretty much walked out, made a peace sign, made a triangle, played a song, and then walked off the field again. Harvard was a little better, but I have to say, SHS (and pretty much any other Texas High School) could have run circles around Harvard and Yale as far as halftime shows are concerned.
            The one interesting part in this break was the emblem-smashing; every year, each school produces an emblem of the other school, and then destroys it. Yale had a giant cloth H; they proceeded to have their band act like a bow and then had some other people, the ‘arrow’, run forward in a line toward the H. It was rather unimpressed. Harvard, on the other hand, built a structure resembling a bulldog (Yale’s mascot), which they brought out. The people inside then proceeded to burst out and hack the structure to shreds. That was a little better, but fortunately, the actual game was interesting, so we didn’t have to rely too heavily on halftime for entertainment. There are also pictures of the tailgate before the game. It was much more pleasant than the one last year – there was a lot more space and a lot more food, and I wasn’t afraid of getting trampled.
            Anyway, the best part of the weekend was our Under Water concert between our group, Under Construction, and Yale’s group, Living Water. We each sang about five songs, which for us included a Christmas carol arrangement we’d only had a week to learn. But everything went fine; Yale sounded great; I thought we sounded good. Afterwards we went to the official Harvard party for the night before the game. I ducked out of that early, too, but it was a good time.
            Why did I keep ducking out early? Partly because I haven’t gotten much sleep lately, and partly because I needed to work on my take-home physics exam, which had its deadline extended until Monday afternoon. It was tedious, but I finished it – I repeat, I finished my last physics take-home exam (hopefully) ever! Now all we have to do is finish our physics projects, and we’ll be good to go.
            And last but not least, the news closest to my thoughts right now – I’m sick. I started feeling bad over the weekend, and Sunday night things started getting a lot worse. I still went to PT on Monday morning – lack of sleep and being in the cold rain for an hour weren’t helpful – and then sent my Arabic teacher an apology and slept instead of going to my morning class. Things were better in the afternoon, but I woke up this morning still worse. Hopefully I’ll be better in time for Thanksgiving. It seems, though, like everyone is getting sick around now; everyone’s energy is running out.

            Whether or not I get better, though, I’m happy to be going home. I’ll let you know how the break goes, but until then, all the best, and Happy Thanksgiving!











No comments:

Post a Comment