Monday, May 12, 2014

Dear Harvard Freshman

            Well, I’ve moved out of my dorm, stored my stuff, and am staying with my parents in a hotel until we leave for the airport tomorrow morning. It’s been a great few days; we went all over Boston, from the Freedom Trail to the Museum of Fine Arts (MFA) to the beach. It’s nice to be done with most of my responsibilities for a while, and it’s amazing to get to see and be with my parents again.
            It’s been a wonderful year, one of the best of my life. I’ve met so many people and learned so much and done so many new things, I don’t even know where to start. I’m never quite sure, but I feel I’ve grown and matured, and I’m both sad to say a temporary goodbye to Harvard and excited for what the future holds. I’m planning on also posting during my time in Jordan, so stay tuned over the summer.
            For this last post, I thought a lot about how I should sum up the year. As I mentioned in my last blog post, I wonder sometimes what kind of person will be in my room next year. Friends and I have discussed what we would say to the person coming after us, if we were allowed to leave a note in the room. So I decided that, for my last post, I would write a letter to the freshman who will be living in my room next year.
            Dear Harvard Freshman,
            Hi! I know you’re probably feeling slightly overwhelmed right now; this is a new place, with tons of new people, and already there’s so much to do. I also know you’re getting lots of letters and advice from friends, family, proctors, deans, professors, PAFs*, academic advisors, and etc. But I feel like I learned a lot this year, and I wanted to pass on a little of that advice, so that you can start out ahead of where I was.
            I know you’re a talented, hardworking person who’s willing to do what it takes to succeed. I appreciate how hard you’ve worked to get here. You have to realize, though, that going to Harvard isn’t at all about getting into Harvard. Once you get here, the playing field is levelled; everyone goes to Harvard. That’s not special anymore; that’s not the point.
            The point is what you do here, what you learn, who you meet, how you grow. I know that at the beginning of last year, I was flooded with opportunities, so much so that I wanted to forget about all of them and do my own thing; it was just too much. But now when I look back, I wish I had taken advantage of a few more of those opportunities, whether that be Through the Gates** trips, visiting the MFA, or just jogging along the Charles more often when I lived five minutes away from it.
            My first semester, I was very focused on studying, and I did well. I learned a lot, both in and out of class, and I was a good student. But college isn’t high school; it isn’t about just being a good student, putting together a good resume. College is about being a good person; when you graduate, the list of things you did won’t be nearly as important as what those things did to you. College is a holistic experience. The academics matter, but they are part of an entire experience of living on your own, learning resourcefulness, independence, maturity, work ethic, and the like.
            So don’t study all the time. Go learn how to live. Learn how to relate to people and start independent projects and try things that are outside your comfort zone.  My second semester, I still spent time on study, but I also started hanging out with friends more, taking a leadership role in my extra-curriculars, and setting aside time to relax and try new things.
            Not, mind you, that the ‘college life’ is all it’s cracked up to be. Doing things that you know are a bad idea for the instant gratification doesn’t make you a better person; it makes you a person with regrets. Make your choices carefully, wisely. There’s nothing wrong with letting loose or indulging a little, but don’t sacrifice your future or your character for a few moments of satisfaction. Find something that’s going to be worth it instead – there are opportunities here to do so much!
            I don’t know much of anything about you. You could be from Texas or Tanzania, well-off or disadvantaged, assured of your success or wondering how you got in here at all.  But whoever you are, there’s a place here for you. There are people who will love you and care about your success, and are willing to give you all the help you need. Don’t ever feel like you’re alone; reach out for help, and I guarantee, it will be there. The professors, administrators, and students here are wonderful, and I hope you’ll grow to know and love many of them before this year’s over, just as I have.
            Best wishes for the future, and congratulations! You’re here!
            Sincerely,
            Lauren Mandaville

*PAF – Peer Advising Fellow – an upperclassman assigned to a group of freshman to provide peer-to-peer mentoring and advising

**Through the Gates – Harvard-sponsored freshman outings to cultural events and area attractions











2 comments:

  1. You, too! We should talk after I get back from Jordan (at the latest) - in Arabic, if everything goes well. :) Have an awesome summer!

    ReplyDelete