Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Schedules and Other Things that Start with S

           Wow. Another week already, and classes just started – really started – today. We don’t even commit, officially, until tomorrow, but the homework is already rolling in, and everyone pretty much knows what they’re taking. I’ll do a brief run-down of my classes.

First, there’s Intro to Philosophy of Religion, which is already interesting. I’d read some of the selections before I came, but not most of them, and not as in-depth as I would have liked to. Since I’ve only had one ‘real’ class of it, I’m not sure if I like it or not yet. But I know the material is interesting, however presented. So I’m sure things will be fine. It also doesn’t seem to have daily homework, just reading and the periodic paper, which is nice. I’m looking forward to studying it.

There’s also Multi-Variable Calculus, which I took last semester with the same textbook. Hopefully that means I won’t have too much trouble understanding the content. The professor is from Switzerland, speaks very good English and is very nice. This class does have daily homework, but it seems okay for now. And daily means every other day, minus weekends, since it’s a M/W/F class.

Hebrew is going alright. I’m in Advanced Hebrew, which means I skipped four semesters in a summer. I’m a little behind the rest of the people in the class, but I seem to be doing fine with the classwork itself, and the teacher is really nice and assures me that I’ll be okay. And since she gives out the grades and has heard me speak, I’m trusting that unless things change significantly.

Modern Middle East is a course required for a concentration in Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations (NELC), which translates into a major in Middle Eastern studies. I have my first class outside of shopping week tomorrow, but I already turned in the first assignment. It sounds like a little more work, but manageable, and an interesting class. Only time will tell.

And then, of course, there’s ROTC. It doesn’t count as one of my classes for Harvard, so it’s kind of an elective, even though it takes up more time than my classes. There’s PT (physical training) Monday mornings – early, at MIT – and class Tuesday and Thursday morning – not much later, at MIT, and a two-hour lab on Wednesday. We’re also going to spend this weekend doing an indoctrination program. The US military is the only organization I’ve come across that likes the word indoctrination. But in any case. There are some interesting insights having been at the other end of the chain of command, mostly cynical ones, but I like the instructor, and the class part is fine. The rest has been mainly paperwork, so I’ll have to wait a couple more weeks to see how it goes.

As for the official extra-curriculars, most of them haven’t started yet, or are still in the process of accepting applications. I have been to several of the Christian events, mainly hosted by two Christian organizations here. I love them both, and the people are wonderful. I have had upperclassmen and adults from the organizations pray with me, invite me out to eat, and check up to see how I’m doing. They have poured the love of Christ out on me, made sure I knew I had a place here. I hope that when I’ve settled in I can do the same for others. And I know that all of you back home are praying for me and loving me, too, and for that you have my deepest thanks.

I am starting to get back in school mode; I managed to actually get things done today within a reasonable time frame. I thrive under pressure, but it’s hard for me to find motivation without it. I tend to either go all out, where I wake up at 5:30 in the morning, exercise for hours every day, and work nonstop until eleven, or not go at all, to the extent that I don’t think it’s worth it to walk across to the dining hall to eat. And I actually like the former a lot better; it’s exhilarating, while the alternative makes me feel like a couch potato, which I basically am for a while.

That probably sounds very unhealthy, but it’s worked until now; I never take it too far. It’s just the transition that’s the hard part, because one takes the risk of getting blind-sided before one can switch modes. So I’m doing my best to change gears before I get knocked over. I know, I’m feeling about the same as last week. I’m not good at gradual changes; I keep expecting to jump into the deep end of the pool, and it keeps not coming. But then, classes have started now.

By the way, since I’m talking about indulgences, someone should bring up that the freshman 15 is not the freshmen’s fault. If everyone stopped holding ice cream socials and pizza parties and putting cupcakes and cookies in the smack middle of the dining hall, that probably wouldn’t be as much of a problem. Not that most of us would complain.

Anyway, that’s life here. I’ve finally been able to stop musing about the few events of the week and give some actual facts; this is what I meant to do in the first place. So hopefully you’re enjoying it and not bored. :) And with that, I should probably stop writing this rather long post and finish reviewing before I head to bed. And I need to drum up enough motivation to plunge into the deep end yet again. Wish me luck!
 

PS – I know; I completely forgot to post the convocation photos, but they're here now. Note: these were taken by our proctor, Morgan. I don’t know why people’s comments aren’t working on here; I tried to check it, but you can probably tell by the format that I don’t know much about these things. Sorry! If you have my facebook, or if you have any advice, technical or otherwise, I would welcome any messages or posts. Thank you for reading this extra paragraph that wasn’t actually supposed to belong here!

No comments:

Post a Comment